Thursday, November 4, 2010

Wrapping Up DI and Moving on to the Next Method!

I enjoyed learning about direct instruction. It is a way to teach that I was familiar with because I think most of my teachers taught this way for the most part. Unfortunately, these weren't always the most entertaining classes.

Direct instruction is the perfect method to use when you are teaching a totally new concept or skill to students. This method is very useful because it helps reach automaticity through memorization. The teacher can introduce the new concept or skill, then help "drill" it into the students head as they practice it.

Direct instruction is a method that only deals with Bloom's first level of knowledge.There is no room with the direct instruction method to move up levels or expand knowledge. There is no room for students to question either. There is no way for students to eventually reach metacognition because they are stuck just memorizing and not connecting what they are learning to anything else.

These reason make it so important that teachers do not teacher just using only direct instruction. One, it can become extremely boring for students, and they will fall off track. Also, it does not help students explore their creativity and discover any of their multiple intelligences. Teachers should add variety to the the class to keep students interested and help them reach the highest level of thinking, metacognition. I always enjoyed the classes where you didn't know what to expect and the teacher was creative and fun. I want my class to feel that way also because I think my students would get the most from every lesson.

I am glad we have learned about this method because it definitly is important and needs to be used when introducing a new concept or skill. I am making a promise to myself that I will only use direct instruction when I am teaching my students a new skill or concept. It is easy for teachers to fall into the habit of using direct instruction often, because it is easier sometimes. Teachers must remember that although it is easy, it is not a good way to expand your students knowlege.

I am excited to see what the information processing model is all about. It seems really interesting. I feel like I may like this method of teaching more than direct instruction because your helping students learn through questioning and experimenting. The method seems like the exact opposite of direct instruction. I am anxious to see what this method is all about so I can use it in my own lesson plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment